Spinach and Mushroom Savory Soufflé
| Print |
Harding House Special Breakfast Entree
|Soufflé or deep casserole dish
2 Tbs. flour or bread crumbs
2 large loaves French Bread
2 cups grilled sliced mushrooms
1 cup grilled spinach
|½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
½ cup grilled onions or shallots
4 large eggs
1 ½ cups half and half
1 tsp thyme and oregano
1 ½ cups grated cheddar cheese
Parsley and tomato for garnish
For a simplified take on this recipe, the wet ingredients and vegetables can be mixed and poured in the dish and the bread can be cubed and dropped into this mixture to absorb about 2/3 of it. Baking time remains the same.
- Coat the buttered dish with flour.
- Prepare bread by removing crusts and cutting into slices. Bread should be dry and firm.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, well beaten with half and half, herbs, salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, mix vegetables together.
- Place a layer of bread on the bottom of the dish
- Pour only enough egg mixture to coat all the slices.
- Layer on ½ vegetables and sprinkle with ½ the shredded cheese.
- Cover with a second layer of bread pieces.
- Continue layering cheese, veggies and bread until you have a final layer of bread pieces on top. Pour a portion of the egg mixture over each layer.
- Slowly pour the remaining egg mixture over the top layer. There should be no more than three layers of bread in all.
- Let stand for at least 1 hour or cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for about one hour or less depending upon the depth of the pan.
- Soufflé will rise and puff up at the top and may bubble over, so leave room above it and place a baking sheet below it to catch any drips. It will fall when it comes out of the oven to cool. This is normal.
- Slice, separate slices so that air can pass between them (you may need to remove several to make enough space). Then return to the oven for another 10 minutes or so to dry out and firm up the slices.
- The end result will be browned, dry and crispy on the outside and soft and firm on the inside.
- Optional: Lightly butter each slice.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, slice and garnish slices with tomato and parsley.